If you have a waterfront home in Maryland, there’s a fair chance that you also have a gravel driveway. This rustic driveway material is popular in the state and relatively easy to manage. Even so, there are a few things to do to maintain a gravel driveway. Here are some tips.
Keep Tools & Materials
Because gravel is a loose material, it is likely to shift around and even spill over onto the lawn over time. Eventually, puddles and potholes can form. To avoid getting these conditions, one should always have several tools and materials on hand:
- Extra gravel
- A rake
- A shovel
- A compactor
As for maintaining a gravel driveway, you’ll want to follow these best practices:
- Never simply rake some existing gravel over to a low spot in the driveway. If you spot a hole, fill it with new gravel and tamp it down with a compactor, so the other areas stay intact. You will also need to spread a fresh layer of gravel once every two years to maintain its function and look.
- Instead of raking gravel around, use the rake for clearing away twigs, leaves, weeds, and other such debris from the surface. For a clean and safe driveway, one can do this weekly.
- If weeds are a problem in your driveway, you have several options. You could pull them out by hand after a good rain, create a barrier between the landscaping and the gravel, or apply a weedkiller like herbicide or vinegar on a hot, dry day. Never use a weed wacker.
- If you notice the gravel keeps washing out, it may have to do with the grading. Gravel driveways should be highest along the center ridge and slope downward on either side by 2-5 degrees.
- In the rare event that it snows in Maryland, keep an inch of snow over the gravel to protect it from upheaval from shoveling. Avoid using a snowplow, which can shift the driveway in an undesirable manner.
BUILD YOUR WATERFRONT DREAM HOME WITH SHORE-LINE CONSTRUCTION!
At Shore-Line Construction, we know that your home is a reflection of you. That’s why we strive to make each home we build as beautiful as the family who will live there. We work with each of our clients to design a home that fits their needs. The end result is a durable, energy-efficient custom home that the family will enjoy for generations to come. Shore-Line Construction has been serving our customers for over 25 years, and we look forward to the opportunity to help you!
If you’re interested in learning more about what Shore-Line Construction can do for you, check out our website or give us a call at 410-574-6623. Keep up with all of the latest news by following our blog and social media pages on Facebook, YouTube, Pinterest, and Houzz!